The Pilot/Escort Flagging Course is an 8-hour, one-day course, with a written exam (passing score is of 80% or higher).
This course is approved by the Florida Department of Transportation, and is one-third of the Florida qualification required for those individuals responsible for warning the motoring public of oversize loads and assisting oversize load drivers on Florida highways.
Every driver escorting an oversize load permitted by Fla. Dept. of Transportation (FDOT) must be one of the following (per Florida Administrative Code 14-26.012):
- A law enforcement officer having jurisdiction in the State of Florida traveling in an enforcement vehicle
- A qualified escort meeting the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older with valid Driver's License
- 8-hour pilot/escort flagging course
- FL course (valid four years)
- Other state course that is to equal or exceeds FL course (click here for list of approved states)
- All certificates must be valid within last four years
- 8-hour National Safety Council Defensive Driving Course (online at safetyserve.com) OR Commercial Driver's License Class A, B, or C
Click here for several Frequently Asked Questions on escorting oversize and overweight vehicles in Florida
For more information, contact the Florida T2 Center by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 352-392-2371.
Visit this web page for a list of Qualified Florida Escort students who have given permission for their information to be placed on this page.
Excerpt from Policy of Pilot/Escort Flagging Training through the University of Florida T2 Center 2/22/08
Payment in advance is required to be registered for the course. Trainees must pay by either credit card, check, or money order. Checks or money orders must be made payable to University of Florida, and should reference the specific class session the payment is for. Include the trainee(s) full name, the class name, and start date of their class session and any additional information you believe useful (a printed copy of the registration confirmation or copy of invoice is best).
Mail check or money order to:
2100 NE Waldo Road, 1st Floor, Room 106
Gainesville, FL 32609
Trainees are allowed two (2) hours to complete the written test. The test is closed book, and the trainee must score 80% or higher to successfully complete the course. Tests are collected and sent to the Florida T2 Center to be graded. Students must also demonstrate proper flagging procedures as shown in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices to successfully complete this course.
Certificates and Wallet Cards
Certificates and Wallet Cards are valid for four (4) years from the ending date of the class session. No certificates or wallet cards will be available at the class session. A certificate and wallet card will be sent to the participants who have paid their course fee and have successfully passed the exam. Any participant who does not achieve a passing score of 80% or higher will receive a letter indicating such. We ask you to allow up to two (2) weeks for your results to arrive at the address you provided at the time of registration. Please note there is a replacement fee for certificates/wallet cards.
- $120 per person for public agency personnel
- $120 per person for private agency personnel